eCommerce isn’t just the way of the future anymore, it is here and it isn’t going anywhere. Whether you are a Boomer, Millennial, or form part of Gen Z, you know that online shopping is where it’s at
. In this article, we will answer the question; what are the types of eCommerce marketing? We will also explain which channels provide what benefits.
eCommerce Marketing Platforms and Methods
There are multiple eCommerce marketing platforms and methods that can be applied to increase traffic to your online store and increase revenue. Some of the types of eCommerce marketing include:
- SEO: Search Engine Optimisation is the practice of optimising your website for search engines to ensure your rankings improve and you reach your target audience more easily with organic searches.
- PPC: Pay Per Click (PPC) refers to digital marketing channels such as Google Ads that display ads to search engine users. This method requires you to pay a fee every time someone clicks on your ad and is redirected to your website.
- SMM: Social Media Marketing (SMM) is a fantastic way of promoting your brand and building trust with your following. One can also run ads on social media and target users based on “characteristics” that would qualify them to be good potential customers.
- Email Marketing: This is probably one of the most important channels to make use of in e-Commerce marketing. This is because it allows you to remarket to those who are definitely interested in your product or have previously bought from you. Thus, when sending out specials or advertising new stock you do not have to start from scratch when trying to convince them to purchase from your online store.
- Web Push Marketing: This form of digital marketing makes use of notifications that are sent to targeted users while making use of apps and search engines. This can include ads, updates, or even an order status.
- Chatbot Marketing: This is something that is often implemented on websites while browsing an online store. Chatbots can offer client support, handle orders, and even promote specials that might be running.
- Influencer Marketing: This makes use of social media influencers that are popular with your target audience. Here you would pay the influencer a fee to make a post about your product or online store to increase sales.
- Affiliate Marketing: Similar to influencer marketing, affiliate marketing makes use of other well-known individuals or websites to promote their products. However, the affiliates are only paid as stock is sold.
eCommerce Marketing Plan
As there are multiple types of eCommerce marketing methods and platforms, it is important to discern which platforms and methods will suit your brand and products best. When creating an eCommerce marketing plan it is important to decide on how you want to drive traffic to your website. One should also determine how you will convert those potential customers on your website once they have landed there. Some channels of eCommerce marketing can even be included in the plan with the intention to retain customers. After all, it is always easier to sell to an existing customer than acquire a new one.
eCommerce Marketing Examples
A great example of a brand that has made use of various forms of eCommerce marketing and has succeeded is Cotton On. From SEO to Google Ads and even email marketing they have put together a fantastic eCommerce marketing strategy that has multiple touchpoints and keeps potential and current customers interested. To find out more about eCommerce marketing and how you can propel your online store to success, contact Startbright